Friday 10 October 2014

Welcome to the Blog!

First things first, let me introduce myself.

My name is Thien-Kim Diep, but feel free to call me (Crazy) Kim. I am only a mere 1m 50cm tall and I often enjoy breakfast twice a day. Does this make me a Hobbit?



http://spiritualmusclehead.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/hobbit.jpg


I’m currently studying for an M.Sc. in Environmental Modelling at University College London. Prior to this, I read Geography for my undergraduate, where I explored the ability of CMIP 5 models to simulate tropical climatologies for my undergraduate dissertation…cool huh?

I also engaged with a range of topics from carbon markets and environmental policy, to earth system dynamics and conservation.

The diverse set of topics and the holistic approach that I’m gaining from my studies is enabling me to continue to pursue my own interests in other research areas. At the moment, I am delving deeper into the energy sector particularly the technological advances to tackling climate change. Furthermore, the development of ways to engage universities, businesses, industries, governments and the public have also caught my attention.


The main purpose of this blog:

Ok. That’s enough of me rambling on about myself. Let’s move onto the purpose of this blog.

I would like to stress that I am not an energy expert, so hopefully this blog will provide a means for readers who have a general curiosity for alternative energy technologies to begin to appreciate how technological developments are creating innovative ways of energizing the future.

As you may be aware, the majority of global energy is supplied by fossil fuels (coal, oil (petroleum products) and natural gas). Unfortunately, these fossil fuels release greenhouse gases (CO2), which are driving anthropogenic climate change.


The iconic climate change image.
http://www.environmentaljustice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Climate-Change-and-Melting-Ice-Caps-295x300.png


The high levels of energy (fossil-fuel) consumption and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions are simply unsustainable. There is a pressing need to reduce CO2 emissions and international policy-makers have set a 2°C emissions target (although whether this target is best is currently being debated) (more on this later).



How should we approach the FUTURE?

Here’s an idea - revert back to the days when we were close to nature (very hard I know, it’s not easy to give up that smartphone).


The alternative? Mixing-it-up! Energizing the Future. We need to change how things work, how we approach problems and think of new ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and explore our options. Of course, it’s not as easy as it sounds.

Finding alternatives to fossil fuels is not a straightforward exercise. It is important to find solutions with minimal effects on economic growth and development, as well as achieving reductions in a range of emissions e.g. CO2, NOx etc. We need to consider the relationship between energy and climate change and re-assess the energy mix and infrastructures on a contextual basis. It is also useful to take into account energy security and environmental protection.


The key questions:

1. How can we begin to move away from fossil fuel dependency?

2. Given the complex set of needs, technologies and choices, how do we prepare for the future (Energy Technologies Institute, 2014)


This blog hopes to:


 Provide a brief insight into the issues currently being discussed within the energy sector.

- Offer a review of the range of technologies already implemented or currently being researched for energizing the future.

- Provide some case study insights and discussion topics.


It is apparent that the shared pursuit for finding solutions to climate change is pushing engagement at multiple scales amongst businesses, governments, university researchers and the public.

Increasing supply (energy production) is not in itself adequate, consumption practices must also be addressed as well. You see? It’s a two-way process.

I am not claiming that a 100% renewable energy mix is impossible, but given current infrastructures, this seems less likely. Instead let’s head the right direction and at least reduce the fossil fuel proportion of the energy mix significantly and mix-it-up some more!!

All in all, this blog will give you a taster of the various energy technologies designed to achieve a sustainable future. I do hope you’ll take something useful away and likewise, please feel free to comment on my posts.

See you next time!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment